It's here! It's here!!!!

FINALLY! After an almost two-month wait, we finally received Amy's newest collection.

Fun fact about me: Amy Butler has been my hero since I was 16 years old. I used to dream of the day when I would finally meet her. I used to wonder what she looked like, and how she got to be such a talented artist, and if she was as nice as she was amazing at what she does.

In Fall 2007 I attended International Quilt Market for the first time. I was 23 at the time, so many years had passed since falling in love with Amy's fabrics. I remember meekly setting up our booth (conveniently located next to the Soak booth) and feeling like a tiny little minnow in the Pacific Ocean.  All these purposeful ladies clustering around and setting up their poles. I was in wonder.

The second day into Market, I could no longer contain myself. I  had to find her booth! I had to meet my Amy. I was so nervous, wringing my hands like dish towels and wondering what I would say to her.

I couldn't say much, to be honest. (for me, this is pretty much an anomaly.) You would have thought I was winning a Nobel peace prize; once we locked eyes, I felt a single tear run down my cheek, then another, then another. Before I knew it I was sobbing.

Graciously, she wipes a tear off my face and gives me the biggest hug I've ever had. "Don't cry! I'm Amy. It's so lovely to meet you."

And then it began. Once I found my words again, I couldn't stop. I told her all about the shop, and my Bonus Mom, and how much I have loved her fabrics all of these years, and how everything I did was because of her. Without knowing it, Amy had taught me that no matter what, as long as you do what you love, you will never go wrong. 






Years  have passed since this photo was taken, and I can honestly say that as time goes on I feel fonder and fonder for her and more inspired than ever. Seeing is believing. (It's as if you were a young mc trying to make a name for yourself, and you meet Nas, or Snoop Dogg. Could you imagine what kind of lyrics you'd spit after that?! And yes, I did JUST compare Amy Butler to Nas.) Seeing her in action, doing what she does, made me realize that despite everything, I can be anything.

I hope that this inspires you to either meet your hero, or become somebody else's. I know now the type of woman I aspire to be is one that leads other young women in the right direction. Having a hero keeps you accountable for making your dreams come true. Even though I only see her once a year, I know that when I do see her, I want to have LOTS to talk about.

So what are you doing still reading this?! I gotta get back to listing her new fabric, and YOU have to sew something. If you get a chance, please take a look at the website and peep Amy's new line.

So much peace, love and inspiration your way.

xoxo-jess

Labels: