Nice things.

I loved the wonderful comments that I received on my inspiration blog. A lot of you surprised me with your artistic knowledge and your heartfelt sentiments.

We talked about inspiration and what calls you to do what you do, and who it is that inspires you. Many of you told me that your children or your mother inspire you; others sought musings from social media or celebrities. I cried like a baby when I read about a good friend's daughter and how her tragic death inspired her to learn to quilt. Thank you all for the most amazing insight!


Kimberly Meador-Place is the winner of my sweet Amy Butler Cameo giveaway- her comment:

 "I have to say that I look close to home to find my inspiration. My family. My Mom and Dad always encouraged me to reach for the sky in my aspirations and never told me I couldn't do something. Well, most things... They weaved creativity and love into everything we did as children and I hope I can do the same for my son. My husband challenges me in my design by making me think outside the box and he keeps me in check when I try to cut corners and my son challenges me to think creatively in more ways than I ever could have imagined... from making pirate belts to getting him to eat his veggies. Thanks for asking that tough question. It's been fun to read about everyone's inspirations."


****************************************************************************

Mark and Basquiat's death date came and went. I expected this day to be the same as it has been the past four years- me mulling around the house, weeping silently and questioning the past that I have tried to leave behind.  I chose instead to spend wonderfully relaxed day with my husband and took a long, winding country drive. I marinated on the past four years and how I coped with this loss. From the beginning of my grief, I always had my patchwork and my artist trading cards. 

 Quilting, too, is my therapy. As time has progressed, I look back on these difficult first months of starting the shop. Even though I was struggling, I was lost in my patchwork. Nothing really matters when I'm face deep in fabric. 

It's been an incredibly busy week, and I have so much I want to say and so much to share. I just have 27 quilts to quilt first. Ha! Face deep, indeed. 

Thank you, loyal friends, for engaging on this inspirational journey with me. I will continue our inspiration theme as the month of August progresses. 

Keeping calm, and quilting on,
xoxo
Jess